Notes and ideas
Note books, very useful things especially as a tracking method to record and review trains of thought, George and I both have very nice black note books <!--break--> and we also have our Ideas Scroll, a large roll of cream lining paper. Rather than regurgitate the contents of our note books for this blog entry, I have scanned in various pages and annotated the pictures beneath with bullet points. Bereft with spelling mistakes and scrawled writting I think they give a glimse into the way in which we work and look rather nice too.
A Meeting with Clare and John
- A condition of our residency is that we have regular meeting with our Mentors in the Studio, the meeting we had this week with Clare Reddington and John Dovey focused on our upcoming project, 'Potential Connections' (wip) which we are developing for this years Encounters Film Festival.
- Discussions focused on our target audience and the potential of our Wishing Project (currently at georgeandhelen.com) to be developed further for Encounters.
- One of our aims for the ongoing development of our work is to move it away from the screen and keyboard and to encompass a more playful approach to participation.
In Conversation with Dr Tom Abba
- George and I invited Dr Tom Abba down to see us last week, he taught both of us during our time on the BA Media Practice at UWE and so from an ex-student point of view we were both very excited about showing him what we had been up to since leaving in June.
- One of the issues we have with our work is that we don't want it to be two dimentional, although we both like the Wishing Application we (and the users/audience) are not learning from it. In the case of Johnathan Harris' work the division of the information into categories means that is is not just data, but it is information that gives knowlege and subsequently wisdom.
Other topics touched on were; Uses of Twitter to enrich narrative experience, (sparked by 'Call and Return' which I spoke about here) for example characters from the television series Mad Men are using the site to pick up from where the program ends; example here. Free Wordpress Magazine Layouts for our website, which is currenlty little more than a static page and in desperate need of design implementation.
- This image evidences a response to disscussions with Tom, Clare and John. The inspiration for these scribbles were card games such as Pokemon or Top Trumps whereby the player has to interact with others to win other cards. The aim being to own as many of the cards as possible without duplication.
- Both of these pages illustrate possible approaches to the inclusion of networking.
In other news
George is learning Action Script 3 and I have been given the opportunity to be The Junior Teaching Fellow for BA Media Practice.